As a Writer at Awesome Motive, you’re responsible for growing our organic traffic and converting website visitors into email subscribers and customers.
To be successful in this role, here’s the type of person you are:
- You have the ability to research and understand technical concepts and then explain them in simple terms to people who aren’t tech-savvy.
- You’re comfortable with accepting critical feedback without taking it personally or arguing.
- You’re a self-starter who loves taking initiative to solve problems and learn new skills, and are comfortable working with minimal direction.
- You take pride in the quality and craftsmanship of your work rather than just doing it to get it done.
- You’re an excellent communicator who makes sure nothing slips through the cracks.
- You’re passionate about leaving your mark on the web for all to see.
- You enjoy helping others on your team to succeed.
Here are some skills that are required to be successful this role:
- IMPORTANT: You have experience writing about WordPress-related topics, such as reviews and tutorials.
- WordPress: You’re comfortable with writing and formatting posts and pages, changing post status and scheduling posts, installing and configuring plugins, basic WordPress troubleshooting, etc.
- Writing and Editing: You can write a well-structured article with impeccable grammar and spelling in a conversational blog-style tone. You can edit your own work to eliminate careless errors instead of relying on an editor to fix them for you.
- Research: You have experience researching online and know how to evaluate the reliability and suitability of your sources.
- Image Editing: You can efficiently take screenshots; resize and crop images; add text, borders, or other elements; compress images; and upload and format them in WordPress so that they are clear, useful, and look good.
- Basic SEO: You understand what SEO is and why it’s important. You know how to research keyword volume and search intent and how to effectively use keywords in your content without keyword stuffing.
- Basic HTML: You can use the text editor in WordPress to add links and do basic formatting of lists, subheadings, etc. with HTML.
- Time Management: You’re able to juggle multiple tasks and projects and prioritize your work effectively to meet all deadlines.
- Team Player: You enjoy meeting and getting along with people from diverse backgrounds, are respectful of cultural differences and make an effort to communicate clearly. You’re enthusiastic about helping out your teammates.
Here are some bonuses that would be nice to have, but aren’t required:
- Copywriting: You understand copywriting basics and have experience writing copy that’s proven to convert (like landing pages, sales letters, case studies, marketing emails, etc.)
- Email Marketing: You have proven results writing email copy. You have experience using Drip.
- Google Analytics: You know how to evaluate the effectiveness of your content using Google Analytics.
- Development: You have experience in HTML/CSS/PHP, and/or in customizing or developing WordPress themes or plugins.
- Graphic Design: You have a portfolio of professional-looking web graphics such as blog post featured images, infographics, data visualization, etc.
Here are some of the typical duties you may be regularly responsible for in this role:
- Write and edit blog posts that are engaging, actionable, error-free, and follow our style guide.
- See assignments through completion from conception and research to publishing.
- Make requested edits without expressing frustration or irritation with the editorial process.
- Do keyword research to identify target keywords and use your research to plan, structure, and write the content.
- Proactively self-manage and prioritize your workload to keep the content calendar on schedule with minimal oversight.
- Monitor SEO rankings and optimize previous posts to boost traffic and conversions.
- Work with the developers to write new feature announcements.
- Write email newsletters and send them using Drip.
- Proactively provide creative input in discussions and collaborate towards a higher quality finished product or better idea.
- Proactively communicate so effectively that other involved team members never wonder what the status is on your activities.
This is not an exhaustive list of role responsibilities. This outline indicates the major responsibilities of this role on a regular basis.
What we offer:
Working for a fast-growing bootstrapped company is a rare opportunity, one we consider a lifestyle choice rather than a job choice. Our positions are challenging, but also come with amazing advantages and fulfillment to those who earn them. Here’s what we offer.
- Competitive Salary.
- Health Insurance benefits for full-time U.S. employees.
- Flexible Schedule – Work from your home. We’re spread out all over the world – United States, Canada, Ukraine, India, Pakistan, and more.
- We encourage employees to take the time they need for vacation, to stay healthy, and to spend time with friends and family.
- After one year with the company: 30 calendar days paid maternity/paternity leave, and up to 60 calendar days total time off with position guaranteed.
- We happily provide or reimburse software you’ll need as well as opportunities that promote continued learning.
- We give you the opportunity to solve challenging and meaningful problems and make a difference.
- Custom Branded laptop at your five year anniversary.
- We cover all costs of company travel (including our annual all-company retreat and any mini-team meetups).
- Ability to work with some of the best people in the business through frequent, if not daily, interactions.
- And in case you were wondering: no politics, no b.s., and no jerks.
How to apply?
If all of this sounds interesting, then please submit your application below.